精华
积分
UID
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2008-4-17 21:39:51 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
Commentary: Why we protest ChinaStory Highlights
By Jill Savitt

The Olympics are an appropriate forum for political gestures; I would argue, in fact, that the Olympics are a necessary forum for political speech.

Jill Savitt: "Why aren't more people raising their voices?"

The Olympic movement -- especially the International Olympic Committee -- claims that its goal is to put on a sporting event. President Bush said the same when asked whether he would attend. "I view the Olympics as a sporting event," the president said as he rejected the idea of a boycott.

But the Olympics is not a sporting event. The Super Bowl is a sporting event, and the World Series, the World Cup and the Tour de France. The Olympics, by charter, are something different: an international forum with a mandate to promote peace. The Olympic Charter says, "The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development of man, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity."

The Olympics have been widely used as a political forum. China, in fact, has used the Games as a blunt political tool for 50 years, denying athletes from Taiwan the right to participate. The United States participated in -- even led -- a boycott of the Games and the IOC banned the delegation from South Africa during apartheid. Athletes have made statements or gestures from the medal platforms on a range of humanitarian and political issues.

With the Beijing Games, of course, it's been political from the start. The IOC and corporations defended awarding the Olympics to China because, they said, the Games would serve to open China to the world.

Protests are at the heart of open government. The right to protest and the ability to assemble and speak freely are some of the most basic human rights. The free exercise of these rights is what separates, in many cases, democracies from dictatorships. To call for a cessation of protests is to deny those basic rights and all they represent.

In fact, it is because China prohibits free speech and assembly that demonstrations at the official torch events are so important. It is the only way to express a view contrary to the Chinese government.
The Olympic corporate sponsors and the IOC have been silent about the Olympic host's destructive role in the Darfur genocide, leading China to believe, perhaps, that these organizations agree with China's policies. It now appears likely that there will be a genocide unfolding while the world gathers to celebrate peace and cooperation. The Olympic host is underwriting that genocide, thereby making a mockery of all that the Olympics are supposed to embody.
The question is not, "Should protests be tied to the Olympics?" The question is, "Why aren't more people raising their voices?"

Jill Savitt is executive director of Dream for Darfur. Her organization has been at the forefront of linking China, Darfur and the Olympics for the past year.

[ 本帖最后由 大反派2 于 2008-4-17 21:40 编辑 ]
My bloody journey has reached a close.

主题

好友

积分

小龙猫

寒い

在线时间
199 小时
威望
0 点
财产
4458 个栗子果
人气
5 ℃
最后登录
2020-5-22
注册时间
2007-12-6
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
沙发
发表于 2008-4-17 21:49:49 |只看该作者

这是评论

Kerry

updated April 9, 2008We absolutely should not have boycotted the 1980 games, and we shouldn't boycott these either. I think it's easier for people who aren't involved in an Olympic sport to see this as secondarily a sporting event. For ...more
We absolutely should not have boycotted the 1980 games, and we shouldn't boycott these either. I think it's easier for people who aren't involved in an Olympic sport to see this as secondarily a sporting event. For those of us involved in sports for which international attention comes only once every four years, the Olympics are absolutely about the athletes and about what that attention means for the maintenance of financial and participatory interest in our sports. less

james mcgibbon

updated April 9, 2008the only reason we are protesting China is because China is getting way to strong. if they are too strong they'll take the resources that rightfully belonged to us (well, not rightfully, but would have belonged to us ...more
the only reason we are protesting China is because China is getting way to strong. if they are too strong they'll take the resources that rightfully belonged to us (well, not rightfully, but would have belonged to us if China didnt budge in) so the only way is to bring down China so we can have the resources all for ourselves less

Steve

updated April 9, 2008The real way to have an impact is to boycott Chinese products. It is difficult since they have gained such a manufacturing foothold in so many areas. But as individuals, we can protest by choosing to buy domestic products or from other countries.
The real way to have an impact is to boycott Chinese products. It is difficult since they have gained such a manufacturing foothold in so many areas. But as individuals, we can protest by choosing to buy domestic products or from other countries. less

Shujia

updated April 9, 2008I would like to ask Jill Savitt to clarify a fact that those protests are not anti-China, neither are they anti-Olympics. Indeed, they are opposing the atrocity and human rights abuse that the CHINESE COMMUNIST PARTY has committed and is still committing to Chinese people.
I would like to ask Jill Savitt to clarify a fact that those protests are not anti-China, neither are they anti-Olympics. Indeed, they are opposing the atrocity and human rights abuse that the CHINESE COMMUNIST PARTY has committed and is still committing to Chinese people. less

Angella

updated April 9, 2008Thanks for bringing up Taiwan in your commentary. A majority of these protests have been for a free Tibet, but there are other issues at stake, like human rights and Taiwan. Taiwanese people are pretty divided betwee ...more
Thanks for bringing up Taiwan in your commentary. A majority of these protests have been for a free Tibet, but there are other issues at stake, like human rights and Taiwan. Taiwanese people are pretty divided between making amends with Beijing and independence - where are these people? If I could be in San Francisco today, I'd be there with a Taiwanese flag, right alongside SFTeamTibet less

alma

updated April 9, 2008Olympic is a sport, not politics!!!
Tibet is part of China!
Olympic is a sport, not politics!!!
Tibet is part of China! less

BothSidesAreBrainWashed

updated April 9, 2008West is bitter about the fact that a communist government who sacrifices human rights for progress and control is becoming a superpower. That being said, people should leave the activists alone and let them do their ...more
West is bitter about the fact that a communist government who sacrifices human rights for progress and control is becoming a superpower. That being said, people should leave the activists alone and let them do their job. Minorities in China do need their help. The little vexation for athletes are nothing compared to what the minorities in China are going through. less

freedom4all

updated April 9, 2008A bully in the neighborhood will tend to oppress people with its brute strength. And when he looms over peaceful people forcing them to act against their will, it is left for the righteous in the neighborhood to stop ...more
A bully in the neighborhood will tend to oppress people with its brute strength. And when he looms over peaceful people forcing them to act against their will, it is left for the righteous in the neighborhood to stop him. The same way Hitler should have been stopped long before he became a threat to this world.
China is using this Olympics to showcase itself as a modern progressive nation. It is just another dictatorial regime hiding behind big buildings and highways. Darfur, Falun Gong and Tibet shows what China is really all about. Let us not allow this Olympics to be hijacked by China and used to adorn its masquerade. Let us stop this bully now. less

Justice

updated April 9, 2008It is disgraceful that the western media has been so biased against China and 1. 3 billion Chinese people. Please condemn the violence and riots in the Olympic torch relay.
It is disgraceful that the western media has been so biased against China and 1. 3 billion Chinese people. Please condemn the violence and riots in the Olympic torch relay. less

Diane

updated April 9, 2008The Olympics should have no place in politics. It IS a sporting event and this is first time I've ever heard anyone say otherwise. Not a sporting event? Please.
The Olympics should have no place in politics. It IS a sporting event and this is first time I've ever heard anyone say otherwise. Not a sporting event? Please. less

William

updated April 9, 2008Someone wrote: "A boycott will only hurt the athletes." No, it will not harm the athletes in any way. There are many other world-wide competitions, wherein a star athlete may gain recognition. Don't forget, the IOC ...more
Someone wrote: "A boycott will only hurt the athletes." No, it will not harm the athletes in any way. There are many other world-wide competitions, wherein a star athlete may gain recognition. Don't forget, the IOC now allows professional athletes to compete, which means that the amateurs are at a disadvantage. The modern IOC has made the games entirely about money and politics; the games themselves are relatively unimportant as a sporting event. less

Jake M.

updated April 9, 2008The issue is more basic than Free Tibet or Free Taiwan. The main slogan should be FREE CHINA from it's single party virtual dictatorship that abuses power and subverts basic freedoms to maintain power.
The issue is more basic than Free Tibet or Free Taiwan. The main slogan should be FREE CHINA from it's single party virtual dictatorship that abuses power and subverts basic freedoms to maintain power. less

Shaun

updated April 9, 2008If they're only a athletic event, why did we boycott the games in 1980?

Answer: They aren't just athletic events and never have been.
If they're only a athletic event, why did we boycott the games in 1980?

Answer: They aren't just athletic events and never have been. less

SpeakOut

updated April 9, 2008Olympic is not a sporting event? Then why all these athletes prepare themselves for the past 4 or 8 or 10 years for this moment to shine? If this is not a sporting event, then what was the FIRST Olympics about years a ...more
Olympic is not a sporting event? Then why all these athletes prepare themselves for the past 4 or 8 or 10 years for this moment to shine? If this is not a sporting event, then what was the FIRST Olympics about years and years ago? If you and other protesters think that it's not OK to let China host the 2008 Olympics, why didnt you all protest it 7 years ago when China was applying for a chance to host 2008 Olympics? From the past 7 years, I have not all these so-called or self-claimed freedome or human right supporters to protest regarding to 2008 Olympics. WHY? People have the right to protest and speak their minds, but other have the same rights to participate in the real sporting event - Olympics. Please dont manipulate this event for your political intention. Honestly, I dont think China government would make any big change on Tibet policy. If any of you can read or understand Chinese language, maybe you should go check out some Chinese online forums and see how mad common Chinese people are after seeing the torch reply got interrupted in London and Paris. How many protesters know the history of China and Tibet? How many of them hear the stories from the other side (China)? I do believe that everyone has the right to speak and protest, that including people from Tibet as well. If you dont have any respect to the Chinese government, I dont see a reason why they would respect your ruless and selfish act. less

Olga

updated April 9, 2008I am happy that there are voices raising against China human rights violations and Tibet - however i do feel the protest are to minimal and to isolated to have an effect on China policies. We need to do a lot more - w ...more
I am happy that there are voices raising against China human rights violations and Tibet - however i do feel the protest are to minimal and to isolated to have an effect on China policies. We need to do a lot more - we need to boycott China's products. But can we? We manufacture EVERYTHING in China - So in a sense we are partners of China and we choose to look the other way rather than push China towards democracy. As long as we USA are so heavily invested in China, as long as we choose to care only about US corporations bottom line we cannot be promoters of democracy in China. I applaud the demonstrators and the governments who choose to take a stance. less

Steven M

updated April 9, 2008The question is "is there a difference between protest and riot?" Civilized and organized protest is always allowed in Paris, London, LA, hell even in China. The problem is people were carried away, and started to rio ...more
The question is "is there a difference between protest and riot?" Civilized and organized protest is always allowed in Paris, London, LA, hell even in China. The problem is people were carried away, and started to riot, it began with the whole riot in Tibet back in March. I don't think it is justify in the name of freedom, so we can attack innocent civilians, attack other people who disagree with our opinion? Or charge into the athletes and put out the torch? And to the author, please don't bring Taiwan into the issue, it's totally a different situation. China simply don't recognize Taiwan as a nation, we all know what Taiwan represents - just another puppet US wanted to use against China. Stick with Tibet, stick with independence of Tibet, it has nothing to do with the freedom of speech in the rest of China, it has nothing to do with genocide, and it has nothing to do with civilization. It took US more 200 years just to abolish Slavery, give China a little time to solve its own problem. BTW, China has a way better universal health care, crime rate, education system, retire program than United States, so let's just let their government solve their problem, and our government solve our own problem. Because I don't think my voice was ever heard, I don't think the last president I voted was ever elected, and my liberty was always destroyed by our democratic system, which majority rules over the minority all the time. less

Brian IA

updated April 9, 2008Thank you for this well-thought out response. China must be boycotted.
Thank you for this well-thought out response. China must be boycotted. less

Leafy

updated April 9, 2008i support peace, human right and free speech, but I do not like the idea of victimizing Olympics with all these protests. Sure you get more attention waving your flag in front of the media admist an important event, b ...more
i support peace, human right and free speech, but I do not like the idea of victimizing Olympics with all these protests. Sure you get more attention waving your flag in front of the media admist an important event, but to a ordinary people like me I just feel annoyed. I want to watch the Olympic game--once every four years---without all those political games(you bet there are political hands pushing those protestors although they might have good intentions). There are a lot more political problems in the world and please let me watch my game in peace. Enough of the hoax. less

jnddtg

updated April 9, 2008Why aren't many people raising their voices? It's the Chinese people who should raise their voices. There are so many well educated Chinese people out there who can read both English and Chinese and can easily point o ...more
Why aren't many people raising their voices? It's the Chinese people who should raise their voices. There are so many well educated Chinese people out there who can read both English and Chinese and can easily point out the bias in the western media. But whenever we voice our opinions that are different from yours, we are dismissed as brainwashed. Do you know there are many more China-supporting students presenting in the flame relay in Paris than the protesters? There was no mention of that in media. less

LovePeace

updated April 9, 2008Jill, if you really want to help ordinary people, you may find a better way rather than insulting 1.3 billion Chinese people, which can only make things worse. There is a lot work to do to better understand different people and better communicate with people from different sides. No one is perfect.
Jill, if you really want to help ordinary people, you may find a better way rather than insulting 1.3 billion Chinese people, which can only make things worse. There is a lot work to do to better understand different people and better communicate with people from different sides. No one is perfect. less

Chengran

updated April 9, 2008Perhaps the protests would be more effective in conducted in a peaceful manner? The violent nature of the protesters is absolutely disgusting and is no better than the very same Chinese government that you are protesting against.
Perhaps the protests would be more effective in conducted in a peaceful manner? The violent nature of the protesters is absolutely disgusting and is no better than the very same Chinese government that you are protesting against. less

L.Kurt Engelhart

updated April 9, 2008Jill asks, "Why aren't more people raising their voices?" The authorities label anyone who speaks out as a malcontent, trouble maker, and disgruntled poor performer. Most people think that only fools would "raise th ...more
Jill asks, "Why aren't more people raising their voices?" The authorities label anyone who speaks out as a malcontent, trouble maker, and disgruntled poor performer. Most people think that only fools would "raise their voices" under these conditions. The authorities escalate their response to any protest to squelch it, and protesters are forced to extreme measures to be heard. These are the reasons, Jill. less

Al

updated April 9, 2008Even if we accept that the Olympic game is more than just sports and Jill's intention is to push the Chinese government to do things right, don't you think the protesters should do the RIGHT thing also in the RIGHT wa ...more
Even if we accept that the Olympic game is more than just sports and Jill's intention is to push the Chinese government to do things right, don't you think the protesters should do the RIGHT thing also in the RIGHT way? I don't think it conveys a peaceful or non-violent message to the world to assault the touch relay. You don't violate a group's human right to protect another group's human right, do you? I hope you don't say that the young handicapped teen deserves to be attacked because she is a Chinese. If you want to make sure your neighbor is doing the right thing, you don't beat up their kid to deliver that message, do you? less

August

updated April 9, 2008Jill Savitt has it all wrong: well, mostly anyway. The olympics is supposed to bring people together in peace without the politics of the world. If we are to take issue with the politics of the participants, it is n ...more
Jill Savitt has it all wrong: well, mostly anyway. The olympics is supposed to bring people together in peace without the politics of the world. If we are to take issue with the politics of the participants, it is not just China that we must protest. We can find something wrong with almost, if not all countries, including th US. The Olympics is not supposed to be an excused for politics or a political forum. It is supposed to be about the atheletes - period. So, either we are going to have olympics free of politics or admit that the olympic spirit just does not work and forget it. But to do so (forget about the true spirit) is an admission that as a people, we can never have peace - not even for two weeks. Is Jill Savitt really so ignorant of the real olympic spirit? I guess yes. less

KG

updated April 9, 2008I have no sympathy for violent demonstrators who try to deface property and forcibly promote their self-righteous world views on others. I completely disagree with the premise of this article and would tell the author ...more
I have no sympathy for violent demonstrators who try to deface property and forcibly promote their self-righteous world views on others. I completely disagree with the premise of this article and would tell the author to get a real job and stop bugging us with a media grab leading up to a world sporting event that SHOULD be politically neutral. less
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

1万

积分

平城狸

在线时间
688 小时
威望
0 点
财产
249597 个栗子果
人气
338 ℃
最后登录
2019-4-21
注册时间
2007-3-15
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
地板
发表于 2008-4-17 22:52:35 |只看该作者
辛苦了 ~
看到了
但是在等翻译
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

1万

积分

平城狸

在线时间
1312 小时
威望
0 点
财产
768384 个栗子果
人气
1066 ℃
最后登录
2013-4-19
注册时间
2006-6-10
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
发表于 2008-4-17 23:30:09 |只看该作者
最好能配上翻译……
给我这样的英盲看
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

煤炭精

追逐风的人

在线时间
71 小时
威望
0 点
财产
11360 个栗子果
人气
8 ℃
最后登录
2010-7-4
注册时间
2007-4-25
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
发表于 2008-4-17 23:39:15 |只看该作者
太长了。。。。
只看了前面的报道,评论没看。
最近出现的事确实是很麻烦,我在这也不便评论了。(好像画馆禁止这类话题的?)
如果你说你不喜欢海贼王,那么海迷会回复以下三大名言:
1. 你一定没看过海贼王
2. 你一定没看懂海贼王
3. 你是SB
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

小龙猫

寒い

在线时间
199 小时
威望
0 点
财产
4458 个栗子果
人气
5 ℃
最后登录
2020-5-22
注册时间
2007-12-6
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
发表于 2008-4-18 12:49:07 |只看该作者
简单翻译,就是说中国办奥运会是政治目的,然后说中国独裁、没human rights等等,最后一句话是:现在问题不是“我们该不该反对奥运会”而是“为什么没有更多的人站出来”
真不知道那女人收了多少钱
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

亚克路

恋物癖的猪

在线时间
387 小时
威望
0 点
财产
3474 个栗子果
人气
202 ℃
最后登录
2011-9-7
注册时间
2007-10-15
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
发表于 2008-4-18 16:56:13 |只看该作者
也许是我们观念落后了吧

不过有些还是不赞成啊
感觉这些人有点太纯粹了
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

1万

积分

平城狸

在线时间
644 小时
威望
0 点
财产
35011 个栗子果
人气
949 ℃
最后登录
2015-6-25
注册时间
2007-11-6
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
发表于 2008-4-18 20:25:37 |只看该作者
看的忒辛苦。意思也只能瞎猜。
看来我真的老了。。

评论不敢这么干看了。
带上翻译器看吧。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

小龙猫

在线时间
46 小时
威望
0 点
财产
165 个栗子果
人气
38 ℃
最后登录
2009-1-25
注册时间
2007-5-27
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
发表于 2008-4-18 20:46:15 |只看该作者
无视吧。。。唉。。不和谐的世界
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

1万

积分

平城狸

在线时间
644 小时
威望
0 点
财产
35011 个栗子果
人气
949 ℃
最后登录
2015-6-25
注册时间
2007-11-6
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
发表于 2008-4-18 20:56:07 |只看该作者
我是权当练英语了。

没耐心看了。无视评论。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 加入画馆

Archiver|手机版|宫崎骏映画馆    

GMT+8, 2024-4-26 18:24 , Processed in 0.108343 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.